Police work with Barrow support agency to support victims of domestic abuse

Police worked with a support agency in Barrow over the festive season to offer an extra avenue for help and advice on domestic abuse.

Officers from the Westmorland and Furness Safeguarding Team joined up with Women’s Community Matters to offer daily drop-ins for victims of this abuse.

The sessions, held in the run up to Christmas and up to January 5, gave victims the chance to speak face-to-face with officers outside a police environment.

It also offered a further safe environment to report crimes or receive advice from an experienced officer.

Cumbria Police helps people suffering domestic abuse every day – but the issue is highlighted in December due to a historical rise in offences around Christmas.

Sergeant Kerry-Anne Travis said: “Working with Women’s Community Matters helps further build a positive relationship to benefit those suffering abuse.

“Our officers become a familiar, friendly face to those who need our help.

“Working so closely with Women’s Community Matters also allows us to improve our understanding of what they do and what services they provide.

“This helps us when offering support to victims.

“At Cumbria Constabulary we always prioritise care for victims – and to be able to take part in this partnership at this busy time of year will only help those suffering.

“We’d like to thank Women’s Community Matters for working with us on this worthwhile initiative to reach out to those who need help.”

Sharon Edwards, Domestic Abuse Project Manager, Women’s Community Matters, added: “We were really pleased to be able to work alongside the police to trial a new way of working over the festive period.

“It offered opportunity for women to meet and chat to officers from the police safeguarding team and to ask them questions.

“We look forward to developing this way of working further in 2024.”

How do I report domestic abuse to police?

If you have been the victim of domestic abuse, or are concerned for someone who is, you can report this by calling 101.

Always dial 999 in an emergency.

You can get more advice about domestic abuse here: Advice about domestic abuse | Cumbria Police

How do I access support services?

You can access support services regardless of whether you have reported a crime to the police.

To access support services independently, contact Victim Support 24/7 on 0808 1689 111 – or go to: cumbria-pcc.gov.uk/victim-service/

Leave a comment

Next and Previous CandoFM News

Now playing: Naughty Boy Feat Joe Jonas with One Chance To Dance
  • https://streaming04.liveboxstream.uk/proxy/candofm_main?mp=/stream;