Cumbria Fire and Rescue Service raise awareness about the dangers of Carbon Monoxide in national campaign

Cumbria Fire and Rescue Service has joined the Carbon Monoxide Awareness Week campaign to raise awareness of the new rules for carbon monoxide alarms in homes, and to help people stay safe from carbon monoxide poisoning this winter. Tens of people die from carbon monoxide poisoning every year, and thousands are harmed. But with a little lifesaving knowledge, exposure to carbon monoxide can be easily avoided.

Rising fuel poverty and the current cost of living crisis is placing households at an increased risk of carbon monoxide poisoning, as people are looking for any way possible to save on heating and cooking costs. From 21 – 27 November, Carbon Monoxide Awareness Week will highlight the new rules for carbon monoxide alarms in homes, show where to seek additional support, and explain how to recognise carbon monoxide poisoning.

Cumbria Fire and Rescue Service were delighted to see the law change to require alarms in millions more homes and improve carbon monoxide safety in society.

Craig Drinkald, Cumbria Fire and Rescue Service’s Area Manager and the National Fire Chiefs Council Lead for Carbon Monoxide Safety said:

“Carbon monoxide poisoning can happen within a matter of minutes and is responsible for more deaths than any other single poison. Carbon monoxide is an odourless, colourless poison that can cause permanent neurological damage and other long-term health effects, and in extreme cases, can kill in minutes.

“Which is why it is so important you have a Carbon Monoxide alarm in your home. If you live in rented accommodation, it is your landlord’s responsibility to provide a carbon monoxide alarm.

“By making carbon monoxide alarms a legal requirement, government is sending a strong message – carbon monoxide is seriously harmful. If you don’t have an alarm, you need to get one for your home as soon as possible.”

New legislation for rented accommodation:

Since 1 October, landlords in England have been required to provide carbon monoxide alarms for all rooms in the home where there is a ‘fixed combustion appliance’; such as a fireplace or a boiler. The rules do not apply for gas cookers. Landlords must take into account the needs of any disabled tenants. Failure to comply can result in a £5,000 fine.

Cumbria Fire and Rescue Service are hosting a seminar to inform local letting agents on what these regulations mean for them. The seminar will take place on Thursday 15 December, 11:00-13:00 at Cumbria Fire and Rescue Service’s Headquarters in Penrith. Places are limited, so please book to reserve your place by emailing: enquiries.fire@cumbria.gov.uk.

Find out more about carbon monoxide and the awareness week here.


Leave a comment


Next and Previous CandoFM News

Now playing: Texas with Inner Smile
  • https://streaming04.liveboxstream.uk/proxy/candofm_main?mp=/stream;
refreshmeheader